Our Email

Best wishes to Niall O’Meara, Eamon O’Shea, John Casey and all the Tipperary team in the All-Ireland final. Unfortunately, Niall won’t be able to take his place in the squad as he suffered a broken thumb in the second half of the semi-final against Burgess. This injury is likely to rule him out of action for five weeks. He is heading to the United States on the Monday after the All-Ireland.
Thanks to all parishioners who have flown the club and county colours. Thanks to Jim O’Meara, Joe Whelan, Cronan Casey, Seamus Sullivan and Gilbert Williams who put up the flags and bunting on the Main Street. A particular word of thanks to Carmel Daly who sourced the flags and bunting. There is a great splash of colour in St. Kieran’s Close (up before the semi-final) while Jack Darcy’s house in the Windmill takes the prize for the best decorated dwelling.

Inter County
Cian Darcy lined out with the Tipperary U16 ‘A’ team that defeated Galway 0-10 to 0-4 in the shield final of the Tipperary Supporters Club tournament in Dundrum. Jerome Cahill was on the U15 ‘A’ team that didn’t make it out of the group while Craig Morgan and Nathan Ryan were part of the ‘B’ team that was beaten in the final by Cork in Clarecastle. Mark O’Neill was goalkeeper on the U14 ’A’ team that was beaten by Kilkenny in the semi-final of the Tony Forristal tournament in Waterford while Sean McAdams was on the U14 ‘B’ team that lost the Sonny Walsh tournament final to Cork.

Under 14
Kilruane MacDonaghs captured the North U14 ‘B’ hurling title with a 1-11 to 2-7 victory against Shannon Rovers in Borrisokane. This was MacDonaghs first ‘B’ title in this grade, having won a total of twelve championships (plus seven divisional Féile titles) in the ‘A’ grade. This victory marked a milestone in the club’s history as it was the 150th North title to come to the parish.

On a calm gloomy evening a large crowd assembled in Gardiner Park. Earlier in the season the teams had played out a draw in the Billy O’Meara tournament in MacDonagh Park, so another close encounter was expected. MacDonaghs were first off the mark when the outstanding Sean McAdams sent the sliotar sailing over the bar. Michael Slattery cancelled this out with a white flag. Rovers were operating a two man inside forward line and Kilruane were finding it difficult to come to terms with this. Sean McAdams and Michael Slattery traded points from frees to leave the sides level. MacDonaghs received a huge scare when Mark O’Neill got an accidental blow to the hand in a ruck. Fortunately, after treatment from Jimmy Cahill he was able to resume.

Sean MacAdams and Michael Slattery swopped points once more. Nathan Lynch got in on the act with a point to edge MacDonaghs one clear. Rovers got a huge boost when Manus Heenan found the net and they added two points, the second from a Michael Slattery free. The Shannonsiders were now in the driving seat and held a four point advantage. The prolific Sean McAdams reduced the gap with a point from play and just before the interval Jack Dwan tapped the sliotar to the net from close range to leave the sides on 1-5 as they retired to the dressing room.

MacDonaghs were quickly out of the blocks in the second half but registered two wides. Marksman Sean McAdams fired over a free after a foul on Owen Usman. Rovers responded with a goal from a twenty metre free from Michael Slattery. His shot was partially parried but found the net. Rovers now had their tails up and tacked on a point to go three in front. A Rovers players was penalised for over carrying and Sean McAdams made no mistake from the resultant free. Sean was on target from another free and raised a white flag from a 65 after goal attempts by Devlin Courtney and Sean had been thwarted by the Rovers defence.

The teams were all square and the match was up for grabs. Sean McAdams managed to whip a ground ball over the bar although he was on his knees. Jack Dwan was fouled as be burst through and for once Sean McAdams didn’t punish the indiscretion. Rovers drew level with a point from the right wing and it seemed the game was destined for a draw. There was one more twist. Deep into injury time a push by a Rovers player gave Sean McAdams one last chance for glory from a fifty metre free. Sean showed nerves of steel as he calmly slotted the free over the black spot and MacDonaghs were champions.

It was a game that could have gone either way and the result was in doubt until Ciaran Timmons blew the final whistle. After the game John Delaney, chairman of North Tipperary Bord na nÓg presented the Brendan Corcoran Cup to captain Mark O’Neill. Congratulations to all the panel and management team of John Quinlan, Eoin Hogan and Gilbert Williams. Thanks to Rovers for making it a tremendous final. They were very gracious in defeat.

Team: Páidí Williams, Aaron Morgan, Jack Dunne, Conor Quinlan, Cian Spillane, Mark O’Neill, Dylan Moran, Devlin Courtney, Kian O’Kelly, Owen Usman, Sean McAdams (0-10), Nathan Lynch (0-1), Matthew Moyles, Jack Dwan (1-0) and Matthew Spain. Sub: Luke Morkan.

In the county semi-final MacDonaghs will play Moyne-Templetuohy. This game is expected to take place on Saturday, September 6th. Unfortunately, MacDonaghs will be without the services of Dylan Moran for this game. Dylan broke a finger in a fall off a bicycle. He was gave an outstanding performance in the North final and his absence will be sorely felt.

1940 Links
On Sunday, August 11th 1940 Kilruane MacDonaghs won the North senior final in Borrisokane, defeating Kildangan by 2-5 to 3-1. Jack Dwan played in goals in that famous victory. Jack’s grandson, also called Jack Dwan, lined out at full forward on the U14 team and his great-grandson Dylan Moran played at wing back. Johnny Dunne scored the winning point against Kildangan. His grandson, Jack Dunne, wore the number three shirt against Rovers. Goalkeeper Páidi Williams is grandson of Tommy Williams who played corner-back in the 1940 final.

Kilruane MacDonaghs lost out to Nenagh in the semi-final by 0-13 to 0-12 in Moneygall. Kilruane played with the breeze in the first half and led by four points at one stage in the first half. At the interval Nenagh had drawn level and opened up a four point gap in the second half. MacDonaghs rallied to draw level before Nenagh hit the winning point from a free. Thanks to the players, manager Matt Cleary and selectors Pat Quinlan and Brian Gaynor for a huge effort during the year. Team: Niall Shinners, Cian Williams, Brendan McAdams, Stephen Cleary, Caoilainn Conroy, Declan Barrett (0-2), Conor Austin, Alan Darcy, Diarmuid Cahill, Conor Cleary (0-8), Pat Conway (0-2), Aidan Boyle, Bob Dooley, James Williams and James Cleary. Subs: Mikey Costello and Tomás Hogan.

Under 16
Kilruane MacDonaghs will play Nenagh in the semi-final. This game is provisionally fixed for Thomas MacDonagh Park, Cloughjordan on Tuesday, September 9th.

Under 8
Kilruane MacDonaghs hosted Ballina on last Friday evening. Four very enjoyable games were played. Thanks to Ballina for travelling to MacDonagh Park.

Congratulations to Patricia Monaghan, Borrisokane who won the Lotto jackpot of €6,200. The jackpot now stands at a very attractive €2,100. Thanks to all our loyal subscribers and promoters who continue to support the Lotto which is our primary source of income.