Our Email

Under 21

The U-21 hurlers qualified for the semi-final with a 0-25 to 0-12 win against Borris-Ileigh in Roscrea. Borris-Ileigh won the toss and rather surprisingly opted to play against the stiff wind. They raised the first white flag, but Eoin Williams soon had the sides level. MacDonaghs dominated the remainder of the half and at the break the score was 0-16 to 0-5. Against the wind MacDonaghs found the going tougher, but still outscored the opposition 0-9 to 0-7. In the semi-final MacDonaghs will play the winners of the losers group, where Nenagh take on Borris-Ileigh, with Lorrha waiting in the wings. Team: David Reddan, Conor Austin, Éanna Hogan, Jack Peters, Tomás Hogan, Niall O’Meara, David Williams, Alan Darcy, Justin Cahill (0-4), Thomas Cleary (0-4), Robert Austin (0-2) Conor Cleary (0-3), Aidan Boyle (0-1), Kieran Cahill (0-9, 0-8 from frees) and Eoin Williams (0-2). Subs: Robert Ward and Paddy Ryan. Referee: Ger Fitzpatrick.

Senior Football

Seamus Hennessy lined out at full-forward and Niall O’Meara played centre-back on the Thomas MacDonaghs team that drew with Éire Óg Annacarty in the county football quarter-final. Seamus helped himself to 1-1. Diarmuid Cahill was introduced in extra time and Declan Barrett was also on the panel.

Harty Cup

Jack Peters and Darragh Peters lined out on the Nenagh C.B.S. team which drew with Hamilton High School Bandon in the second round of the Harty Cup. James Cleary and Niall Shinners were also on the panel. Stephen Cleary was unable to take his regular place at corner-back due to an injury sustained in the minor game against Toomevara. Nenagh must now win their remaining group games to qualify for the quarter-finals and hope that other results fall in their favour.

World Handball

Eleanor Percy, Síle Spain, Gráinne Molloy, Orla Molloy, Róisín Cahill, Matthew Spain and Jerome Cahill participated in the World Handball Championships in City West. All acquitted themselves admirably.

Committee Meeting

The monthly meeting of the committee will be held in the clubroom on Friday November 2nd at 8.00pm. All committee members are asked to reserve this date in their diaries.


The Annual General Meeting will be held in the clubroom on Friday December 7th at 8.00pm. It will be preceded by Mass for deceased members in Cloughjordan Church at 7.30pm.


The club would like to extend its sympathy to the Paul and Willie McLoughney, Cloughjordan on the death of their mother Sheila, wife of the late Billy, former Kildangan, Kilruane MacDonaghs and Tipperary hurler. Sympathy is also extended to the Doheny family on the death of Mary Doheny.

Fifty Years Ago

Fifty years ago Kilruane MacDonaghs defeated Borris-Ileigh in the North U-15 Juvenile final. This is the Guardian Report:

Kilruane Are Champions

For Fourth Successive Year

Borris-Ileigh Go Down In Classic Final

Kilruane MacDonaghs 6-5 Borris-Ileigh 4-0

In what must surely rank as one of the greatest juvenile games at MacDonagh Park Nenagh, on Friday evening last, Kilruane MacDonaghs defeated Borris-Ileigh by 6-5 to 4-0 to record their fourth successive win in the competition.

The hurling all through was top class, fine overhead striking, crisp ground connections, plus the ebb and flow of battle as first one side and then the other seemed to be getting on top , making it all a sheer delight for the big attendance, who certainly roared their appreciation.

A furious pace was set from the start and hurling with a skill and confidence far beyond their years, both sides served up great ‘stuff’ that had the crowd roaring from the throw-in. There was no score for the first ten minutes but Kilruane in a one minute spell cracked home two goals.

Not the least daunted by this set back the Borris boys battled back and the holders went through many anxious minutes before their greater strength enabled them to pull clear in the final ten minutes for a well deserved victory.

Kilruane MacDonaghs won because they were the better balanced outfit and overall had greater striking power in attack. Yet, for a time it seemed as if the never-say-die attitude of the Borris boys might blue print a first triumph.

Kilruane In Lead

Kilruane took the lead after ten minutes when a free by Seamus Farrell was saved but the ball was forced home by Sean Óg Dwan and inside a minute they were back for a second goal by Denis Casey. Borris fought back and narrowed the gap with a free from Oliver Ryan. Kilruane increased their lead with a point from a free by Liam O’Shea but a Borris goal narrowed the gap to a point. Coming up to the break the holders added 1-1 to lead at by 3-3 to 2-0.

Shortly after the restart Borris scored their third goal but a Kilruane point by Paddy O’Meara left three points between the sides. Coming up to the end of the third quarter excitement ran high as Borris swept through for the equalising goal. In the final quarter a better balanced Kilruane side got on top and added 3-2 without reply.

Team Triumph

While it was mainly a team triumph for Kilruane the major share of the honours must go to Pat (Paddy) Williams and Jimmy Reddan in defence, midfielders Paddy O’Meara and Seamus Farrell , and forwards Jimmy Minogue and Liam O’Shea. Williams, eligible for the next two years, gave a great display on the half-back line and his every move bore the stamp of a very promising youngster.

This sextet did great work in their team’s great victory and got great support from their colleagues Pat Rohan, Pat (Paddy) Kelly and Sean Murphy in defence; Pat Hough , Denis Casey, Sean Óg Dwan and John Kelly in attack, while goalkeeper Niall Dwan made many fine saves.

Borris-Ileigh had one of the outstanding players on the field in Seamus Corbett, a great goalkeeper in Paul Kennedy and a brilliant midfielder in Oliver Ryan. This trio were the stars of the losing side who won as much honours in defeat as many a side has in victory. Others prominent for Borris were Tim Delaney, M .Ryan, M. Stapleton and Noel O’Dwyer.

Kilruane MacDonaghs: Niall Dwan, Sean Murphy, Paddy Peters, Pat Rohan, Pat Kelly, Jim Reddan, Pat Williams, Paddy O’Meara, Seamus Farrell, Jimmy Minogue, Liam O’Shea, Pat Hough, John Kelly, Sean Óg Dwan and Denis Casey .

Borris-Ileigh: Paul Kennedy, O. Kelly, M. Ryan, Seamus Corbett, Tim Delaney, M. Stapleton, Noel O’Dwyer, Oliver Ryan, Jim Ryan, Frank Ryan, Ml Ryan, Tom Spillane, Tommy O’Dwyer, T. Maher and M. Gleeson.

Referee: M. Carey (Ballinahinch).

In the county Rural semi-final MacDonaghs were defeated by Cappawhite. However, in the North Urban Rural final they had a convincing victory against Nenagh on an 8-11 to 1-2 scoreline. They were defeated by Carrick in the Urban Rural semi-final on a 7-2 to 5-3 scoreline, but won the game on an objection. MacDonaghs secured the county title when they got the better of Moyne-Templetuohy on a 4-4 to 3-0 scoreline in Nenagh. Both county winners, MacDonaghs and Cappawhite, battled it in the Turas na nÓg final for the out for the coveted All-Ireland tickets. As time ebbed away a goal for MacDonaghs looked to have secured the trip to Croke Park. However, the West outfit hit back immediately with their goal second goal to come out on top on 2-4 to 2-3 scoreline and leave MacDonaghs devastated. Mick Hogan Ballygibbon summed up the dramatic finish: “I threw my cap up in the air when then boys went ahead, but it was only on the way back down when Cappawhite had the ball in the net.”