Our Email


Best of luck to Jack Peters and the Tipperary minor team in the All-Ireland final. Jack is attempting to become the sixth MacDonaghs player to win an All-Ireland minor medal. Previous winners were: Eamon O’Shea and Enda Hogan (1976); Michael Conway (1980); Seamus Hennessy (2006 & 2007) and Eoin Hogan (2006).


Kilruane MacDonaghs have entered the All-Ireland Sevens, hosted by Kilmacud Crokes. This is the 40th anniversary of the inaugural competition. A special souvenir programme is being published and the captains of all the previous winners are being honoured with a commemorative medal. Gilbert Williams captained the MacDonaghs team which defeated Buffers Alley Wexford on a 1-11 to 2-5 scoreline in the 1984 final. Panel: Tony Sheppard, Jim O’Meara, Gilbert Williams, Enda Hogan, Seamus Hennessy, Paddy Williams, Jim Williams, Philip Quinlan and Pat Quinlan.

Under 16 V Portroe

On last Monday evening the U-16s travelled to Portroe and just edged out the home team by the minimum of margins on a 3-12 to 3-11 scoreline. This was a crucial game, as only a victory would keep the boys in black and white on course for a semi-final place. MacDonaghs had to line out without the injured Rory McCarthy. Jack Farrell was also an absentee, while Brendan McAdams hadn’t fully recovered from a collarbone injury. The sticky conditions and long grass weren’t conducive to good hurling and both sides found it difficult to cope. Darragh Peters opened the scoring when he cut in from the left corner and fired over the bar. Portroe responded with four unanswered points. A point from Darragh Peters reduced the gap to two. The home side got a huge boost when MacDonaghs failed to clear their lines and the sliotar was slammed to the net. Cian Darcy steadied the ship when he hit a great long range point. Portroe replied with a similar score, before Cian raised a white flag from a free. Kilruane got the tonic they needed, when Darragh Peters beat a succession of defenders, before burying the sliotar in the net. Portroe’s response was immediate. Niall Shinners saved well at the other end, but the rebound was despatched to the net. The Shannonsiders added a point, with Conor Doheny replying after taking a pass from Cian Darcy. Darragh Peters chipped in with another point to nullify a white flag by Portroe. MacDonaghs finished the half strongly. Cian Darcy launched a long delivery into the Portroe square. Darragh Peters timed his run to perfection and deftly guided the sliotar home. He tacked on a point to leave the sides level at 2-7 each.

Portroe got a dream start to the second half when they raised their third green flag. MacDonaghs struggled to get into their rhythm and three good chances for points were spurned. The sides swopped points, with Cian Darcy on the mark for the visitors. Darragh Peters pointed, but the home side maintained a gap of four with their eighth point. A brace of white flags from James Cleary and Cian Darcy just left a point between the sides. The selectors switched Darragh Peters in from the corner and isolated him on the edge of the square. This move was to quickly pay dividends. Keelan Troy lofted a high ball into the goalmouth and the alert Darragh availed of a blunder by the Portroe keeper to force the sliotar over the line. MacDonaghs were now two ahead and a grandstand finish was in sight. Portroe reduced the arrears to one. A win was a must for MacDonaghs to keep their championship aspirations alive. A point from Cian Darcy extended the advantage to two. Darragh Peters was moved to centre-back to shore up the defence. A Portroe free cut the gap to one. In a tension filled last few minutes MacDonaghs defended stoutly and were on the attack when referee Eddie Kennedy sounded the long whistle. This was a gritty display by the team. Darragh Peters was outstanding. Cian Darcy was very effective when he moved the ball directly. Martin Grace had his best game of the season, while Jerome Cahill worked like a beaver in the attack. Kieran Lillis and Caolainn Conroy battled gamely, with every other player lending good support. Team: Niall Shinners, Arran Conroy, Kieran Brereton, Ciarán Spillane, Martin Grace, Caolainn Conroy (Capt), Conor Lillis, Cian Darcy (0-5), James Cleary (0-1), Kevin Shinners, Kieran Lillis, Conor Doheny (0-1), Darragh Peters (3-5), Keelan Troy and Jerome Cahill.

Referee: Eddie Kennedy (Borrisokane)

Under 16 V Silvermines

The U-16s recorded their third successive victory when they overcame Silvermines in MacDonagh Park on a 4-18 to 6-10 scoreline. MacDonaghs were always in control of this game and on separate occasions enjoyed both nine and eleven point leads. However, a late rally by Silvermines, which coincided with the departure of the injured Cian Darcy, ensured a tense finish. MacDonaghs made a blistering start and raced into a nine point lead inside the first quarter, with the scoreboard reading 2-5 to 0-2. Darragh Peters and Cian Darcy had raised the green flags. The team was responding to the managment’s instructions to play direct hurling. The midfielders and forwards combined well and hit some delightful scores. Cian Darcy was lording it at midfield and Darragh Peters was on fire in the right corner. Silvermines gradually found their feet and by the interval they had reduced the deficit to three points, with the score 2-10 to 2-7. The second Silvermines goal came from a free and the Kilruane defence will be disappointed that they didn’t stop a shot that lacked any real venom.

On the resumption, Silvermines got a lucky break when they awarded a controversial goal after goalkeeper Niall Shinners was adjudged to have stepped back over the line. The scores were level and it was game on. MacDonaghs responded well to this setback and fired over four points on the trot. One was a magnificent effort by Cian Darcy from a fifty metre line ball, out on the stand side. Darragh Peters was now operating at centre-forward and he knifed through the defence and crashed home a great goal. Keelan Troy buried the sliotar from close range for the fourth goal and when Jerome Cahill added a point the score stood at 4-18 to 3-10 in favour of MacDonaghs. With just over ten minutes left, it looked like the home side would close out the game. However, the injured Cian Darcy had to leave the field. Silvermines started to dominate possession and a bad blunder by a Kilruane defender presented the opposition with a goal. They scored their fifth goal from a close in free, which wasn’t hit with any great ferocity. MacDonaghs had now lost their shape and a sixth goal just left two points between the sides. The home side was relieved to hear the final whistle. Although MacDonaghs were clearly the better side, who played the better hurling, and got the better scores, a lack of composure in the final ten minutes almost cost them dearly. Their final group game is at home to Shannon Rovers on this Monday at 6.45pm. Victory here is a must and would guarantee at least a playoff for a semi-final spot. Hopefully, Brendan McAdams will have recovered sufficiently from a collar bone injury to take his place. His presence would help stiffen the defence.

Team: Niall Shinners, Arran Conroy, Kieran Brereton, Ciarán Spillane, Martin Grace, Caolainn Conroy, Conor Lillis, Cian Darcy (1-4), James Cleary (0-1), Conor Doheny (0-2), Kieran Lillis (0-4), Kevin Shinners, Darragh Peters (3-5), Keelan Troy (1-1) and Jerome Cahill (0-1). Subs: Jack Farrell and Craig Morgan.

Referee: Stephen Kenny (Moneygall)


The junior hurlers lost out to Burgess after extra time in the quarter-final on a 2-16 to 1-17 scoreline. MacDonaghs played against the wind in the first half. Burgess settled quickly, with their forwards looking very dangerous. They built up a ten point lead, with the score 2-7 to 0-3 in their favour. Burgess could have had two more goals on the board, with the crossbar coming to rescue on one occasion. MacDonaghs began to claw their way back into the game and outscored their opponents 0-4 to 0-1 in the final ten minutes of the half, to leave the interval score 2-8 to 0-6. MacDonaghs dominated the second half. They scored 1-8 and limited Burgess to 0-3, to level proceedings at the end of normal time. The goal came from a David Reddan penalty, after Colin England had been fouled. Both teams scored two points in the first period of normal time. However, on the turnover the concession of three frees proved to be very costly and Burgess emerged winners with two points to spare. It was a spirited performance by the team after a sluggish start. Thanks to the players and management for their efforts during the year. Team: David Reddan (1-0), Cian Williams, Fergus England, Conor Austin, Tomás Hogan, Freddie Williams, Ronan Boyle, Declan Barrett (0-10), Alan Darcy, Conor Cleary (0-3), Michael Reddan, Robert Austin, David Williams (0-2), Willie Darcy and Niall Murphy. Subs: Colin England (0-1), Stephen Cleary and Timmy Walsh.

Carrigdhoun Tournament

Congratulations to Darragh Peters who lined out on the Tipperary U-15 hurling team who defeated Cork in the final of the Carrigdhoun tournament.

Tony Forristal Tournament

Cian Darcy was a member of the Tipperary U-14 team who played in the Tony Forristal tournament in Waterford. Unfortunately, they lost to Killkenny and Limerick in the group stages.

Parish League

The Parish League finals take place in MacDonagh Park on this Saturday Sept 15th at 11. All players should be present at 10.45. In the League Final Gorry Rangers, captained by Nathan Ryan, face The Ninety Eights led by Kevin Oakley. In the Plate Final De Wets, skippered by Seamus O’Meara, take on Kyle, with Luke Dervan at the helm.


Congratulations to Sarah Flannery Rapla who won the Club Lotto jackpot of €4,300. The jackpot resumes at a very attractive €2,000. Tickets cost €2 each, with three on offer for €5. The Lotto can also be played online by logging on to


The club would like to extend its sympathy to Seamus Sullivan on the death of his mother, Margaret Sullivan Woodford.