Our Email


The seniors made their exit from the county championship when they lost out to Borris-Ileigh on a 0-21 to 0-16 scoreline. However, the final score doesn’t do justice to the effort of the MacDonaghs team, as this was probably their best display of the year. The problem with emigration and injuries has been well documented, but the team cast off the shackles and took the game to Borris-Ileigh. Brian O’Meara, Niall O’Meara and Justin Cahill led by example, with outstanding performances. There was very little between the teams all through, but a lack of composure cost MacDonaghs dearly. On at least four occasions possession was turned over, resulting in Borris-Ileigh points. In the second half three points were coughed up in a similar fashion. The team will learn from this experience and realise that mistakes are severely punished in senior hurling. Team: Thomas Williams, Diarmuid Cahill, Eanna Hogan, Pat Williams, Pat Conway, Niall O’Meara, Jack Peters, Willie Cleary, Mikey Costello, Thomas Cleary (0-1), Justin Cahill (0-3), Brian O’Meara (0-3), Kieran Cahill (0-1), Ray McLoughney (0-8) and Eoin Williams. Subs: Jonathan Cahill, Martin Walsh, Shane Quinlan, Kevin Quinlan and Mark O’Leary. Despite the disappointment of defeat, there was a very positive mood in the dressing room after the match. George O’Leary, Ray McLoughney, Mick Ryan and Jim Williams spoke and all expressed optimism for the future. Jim indicated that Mick and himself were prepared to stay on for 2013. It is expected that the club will ratify the reappointment of Jim and Mick without any delay.


The junior hurlers drew with Borris-Ileigh in the second round of the championship in Moneygall. Final score: MacDonaghs 0-13 Borris-Ileigh 2-7. This draw keeps their hopes of a quarter-final place still very much alive. However, Kilruane will rue not coming home with both points, as Borris-Ileigh got the equalising goal with the second last puck of the game. MacDonaghs were without Tomás Hogan, Colm Williams, Stephen Cleary and Michael Reddan. They hit ten points from play, in contrast to the Borris-Ileigh who only mustered 2-1 from open play. The first half was played in a drizzle and both sides found it difficult to master the conditions. The tendency by Kilruane to use one hand instead of two didn’t help matters. This malaise will have to be eradicated if progress is to be made in the championship.

Defences were on top and the opening thirty minutes, with only seven scores registered. Borris-Ileigh played with the breeze and went into an early two point lead, courtesy of frees from Ollie Delaney. David Williams opened MacDonaghs account with a point after nine minutes. Ollie Delaney scored his third free. Robert Austin was fouled and Mark O’Leary punished the indiscretion with a point. An Ollie Delaney free bought the first half scoring to a close, leaving Borris-Ileigh ahead by a point at the break, with the score 0-4 to 0-3. On the resumption, the evening brightened and the hurling improved. The sides were level when Mark took a pass from David Williams and raised a white flag. MacDonaghs went into the lead for the first time when Mark O’Leary pointed. The gap was extended to two when Mark was on target, after Conor Cleary was fouled. An Ollie Delaney free cut the lead to one. Kilruane responded with David Williams’s second point. Declan Barrett struck a great point from midfield and Mark tacked on another as MacDonaghs took control. However, they were rocked back on their heels when against the run of play Borris-Ileigh raised a green flag. Kilruane hit a purple patch with four unanswered points from Mark O’Leary (2), Declan Barrett and Aidan Boyle. A pointed free from Ollie Delaney left a goal between the sides. Deep into added time Borris-Ileigh struck the equaliser. The final group game is against Moneygall.Team: David Reddan, Cian Williams, Sean Hayes, Fergus England, Alan Darcy, Freddie Williams, Conor Austin, Willie Darcy, Declan Barrett (0-2), Ronan Boyle, Robert Austin, Conor Cleary, David Williams (0-2) Mark O’Leary (0-8) and Paddy Ryan. Subs: Aidan Boyle (0-1) and Timmy Walsh.


The minor hurlers kept in the hunt for a semi-final place with an away win against a Ballina side, which included county minors Stephen O’Brien and Michael Breen in their ranks. Final score: MacDonaghs 3-17 Ballina 2-11. Darragh Peters returned after a shoulder injury, but regular corner-back John Healy was an absentee. The selectors reshuffled the deck after the first round loss to Roscrea. Kieran Cahill reverted to his customary position of centre-forward and Conor Austin returned to a more familiar role at wing-back. A brace of goals from Kieran Cahill helped MacDonaghs into a six point interval lead, with the scoreboard reading 2-6 to 0-6 in their favour. Kilruane always had a slight edge in the second half and hit 1-11 in reply to 2-5 from Ballina. Team: Niall Shinners, David Mooney, Tomás Hogan, Bob Dooley, Sean Cleary, Jack Peters, Conor Austin, Darragh Peters, Stephen Cleary, Paddy Ryan, Kieran Cahill, Aidan Boyle, Enda Mulcahy, Conor Cleary and Robbie Oakley. Subs: Mark Tierney, Kieran Lillis, Conor Doheny, Caolainn Conroy and James Cleary. The next game is at home to Nenagh on this Thursday at 7.00pm.

Under 12

The U-12 teams had mixed fortunes in the quarter-finals in MacDonagh Park on Saturday morning. The B team booked a home semi-final against Kildangan, when they overcame Nenagh on a 2-5 to 0-3 scoreline. The victory was built on a rock solid defence, where Eoin England gave an outstanding performance. MacDonaghs played against the wind in the first half. Sam Darcy opened the scoring with a point from an acute angle. Luke Morkan converted a twenty metre free, while the MacDonaghs backs conceded no score. On the restart, a long delivery from Luke Morkan ended up in the net. Sam Darcy added a second green flag to open up an eight point gap. The home side clawed their way back into the game with three unanswered points. Páidí Williams settled Kilruane nerves when he was on target from a 65. Cian Spillane wrapped up the scoring when he pointed a thirty metre free. Eoin England was man of the match, while there was much to admire in the performances of Cian Spillane, Páidí Williams, Patrick Hayes and Kieran Spain. Team: Páidí Williams (0-1), Eoin England, Kieran Spain, Cian Spillane (0-1) Patrick Hayes, Luke Morkan (1-2), Daniel Costello, Conor Quinlan, and Sam Darcy (1-1). Subs: Joseph Donnelly and Pheilm Quinlisk.

The A team lost out to Nenagh on a 3-7 to 2-4 scoreline. Captain Jack Dwan lost the toss and MacDonaghs and had to face into the wind. They got a tonic start when corner forward Mathew Spain latched on to the end of a Mark O’Neill free and flicked the sliotar to the net. Nenagh recovered from this and at the break they lead on a 2-4 to 1-1 scoreline. MacDonaghs fought hard in the second half but had no luck. Matthew Spain notched his second goal but the crossbar and a brilliant save from the Nenagh keeper denied MacDonaghs on two other occasions. Nenagh had a distinct advantage in the physical stakes and this ultimately proved proved to be the difference between the teams. The team couldn’t be faulted for effort with Mark O’Neill giving his usual outstanding performance and he was well supported by Kian O’Kelly, Jack Dunne and Sean McAdams. Team: Jack Dunne, Jack Dwan, Louis Kennedy, Mark O’Neill (0-3), Dylan Moran, Sean McAdams, Devlin Courtney (0-1), Matthew Moyles, Kian O’Kelly, Owen Usman and Matthew Spain (2-0). Subs: Aaron Morgan and Paul O’Neill.

Under 16

In the third round of the championship the U-16 hurlers lost out away to Ballina on a 5-10 to 3-9. scoreline. The game was played in a constant drizzle, typical of our Irish summer. MacDonaghs had to field without the Rory McCarthy who sustained an injury in the first round against Templederry. A goal from Cian Darcy and a point from the elusive Jerome Cahill gave Kilruane a dream start. The first half was a very even affair, with the teams matching each other score for score. The home side just edged into a two point lead at the interval, with the score 3-7 to 3-5 in their favour. In the third quarter Ballina tightened their grip on the game, when they hit 1-3 without reply. MacDonaghs finished on the offensive but couldn’t bridge the gap, despite late pressure. Team: Niall Shinners, Arran Conroy, Jack Farrell, Ciarán Spillane, Kieran Brereton, Darragh Peters, Conor Lillis, Caolainn Conroy , James Cleary (0-1), Cian Darcy (0-6), Kieran Lillis (1-1), Martin Grace, Conor Doheny, Keelan Troy (1-0) and Jerome Cahill (1-2). Subs: Kevin Shinners and Conor Kelly.

County Draw

Congratulations to Sinéad and Liam Williams Lahorna who won €500 in the county draw. This was the second win for the MacDonaghs club in this year’s draw. Paul Butler Crowle had previously won €500.