Our Email

Munster Championship

Well done to Brian O’Meara and the Tipperary team on a great win against Cork. Brian chipped in with two valuable points before he had to retire injured

Junior Hurling

The junior hurlers shared the points with Toomevara in the first round of the championship in MacDonagh Park. Final score: MacDonaghs 1-16 Toomevara 2-13. The home side made an explosive start to the game. Inside the first minute full-forward Mike Reddan flicked a long delivery to the net and he followed up with a point. Toomevara responded quickly and after three minutes the Kilruane defence was exposed when Shane Nolan raised a green flag. Mark O’Leary tapped over two successive frees to leave the black white three ahead. Toomevara fired over four unanswered points to go one clear. In the twelfth minute Mark O’ Leary tacked on another white flag from play to bring the sides level and he was on target from a free after Robert Austin was fouled. The Greyhounds drew level in the seventeenth minute and two minutes later they found the net for the second time. Declan Barrett got his name on the scoresheet with a point and Mark O’Leary made no mistake from a free after the hard working Robert Austin was fouled. Colm Williams swung over a point and the deficit was reduced to two. A successful 65 from Mark O’Leary was sandwiched between a brace of frees from Paddy O’Brien to leave the scoreboard reading 2-8 to 1-9 in favour of the visitors at the break. Prior to the half-time whistle, a brilliant save by Brian Delaney denied Mark O’Leary a certain goal.

On the resumption Toomevara were quickly off the mark with a point. After five minutes Colm Williams notched his second point. Toomevara replied with two points before a brace of points from Mark O’Leary, one from a free and one from play, left just a gap of two points. At this stage Toomevara were guilty of some poor shooting and hit four wides in succession. MacDonaghs were coming second best at midfield and the supply to the inside forwards had dwindled to a trickle. Full-forward Mike Reddan was despatched to the middle of the park to help counteract Toomevara’s advantage in that area. Com Williams was brought back to wing-back and gradually MacDonghs began to establish a foothold in the game once more. In the twenty fourth minute David Williams was fouled and Mark O’Leary duly punished the indiscretion. Mark and Paddy O’Brien traded points from frees and the gap remained at two. The momentum was now with MacDonaghs. Robert Austin shipped a heavy tackle as he careered through and Mark O’Leary was unerring from the resultant free. Kilruane piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser. Deep into added time, a Toomevara defender was penalised for lying on the sliotar in a ruck and Mark O’Leary struck his twelfth point to leave the teams all square when John Cleary sounded the long whistle.

This was an encouraging performance against a strong Toomevara outfit which was liberally sprinkled with players who had senior experience such as Paddy O’Brien, Tony Delaney, John Boland, Kieran McGrath, Kieran Brislane and Paddy Grace. MacDonaghs had to field without Willie Darcy, Freddie Williams, James Williams and Cian Williams, while the availability of Conor Austin and Stephen Cleary will also add to the selectors’ options in the second round. However, some players may be lost to the senior, whose forces are being depleted by the day. Mark O’Leary showed that he has lost none of his guile and accuracy. David Reddan acquitted himself well between the sticks. Sean Hayes put in another accomplished display at full-back and had a great battle with Jamie Quigley. Diarmuid Cahill and Tomás Hogan impressed in the half-back line. Alan Darcy tried hard at midfield. Robert Austin worked like a beaver in the number eleven jersey. Declan Barrett had a good hour at wing-forward, while the inside line of Mark O’Leary, Mike Reddan and Colm Williams always looked dangerous. Team: David Reddan, Fergus England, Sean Hayes, Luke Williams, David Williams, Diarmuid Cahill, Tomás Hogan, Scott Hodgins, Alan Darcy, Conor Cleary, Robert Austin, Declan Barrett (0-1), Colm Williams (0-2), Michael Reddan (1-1) and Mark O’Leary (0-12, 9 from frees, 2 from play & a 65). Subs: Paddy Ryan and Timmy Walsh.

U-12 Hurling

The U-12 hurlers had mixed fortunes on their visit to Puckane. The b team recorded their third successive win on a 3-4 to 1-0 scoreline. Team: Páidí Williams, Eoin England, Kieran Spain, Patrick Hayes, Cian Spillane Joseph Donnelly, Luke Morkan, Conor Quinlan, Owen Farrell, Daniel Costello, Sam Darcy, Ben Cahalan and Pheilim Quinlisk. The A team lost out on a 4-8 to 1-4 scoreline to a good Kildangan side. Team: Matthew Moyles, Jack Dwan, Louis Kennedy, Mark O’Neill, Dylan Moran, Sean McAdams, Owen Usman, Devlin Courtney, Jack Dunne, Kian O’Kelly and Matthew Spain. Subs: David Sullivan and Aaron Morgan.

Parish League

The final round of the Parish League was played last Saturday in MacDonagh Park, resulting in a three way tie at the top of the table. Gorrry Rangers (Capt Nathan Ryan), Kyle (Capt Luke Dervan) and Ninety Eights (Capt Kevin Oakley) all finished on four points. A playoff will be necessary to decide the finalists. Last Saturday’s games witnessed some great hurling, brilliant scores, outstanding hooking and blocking from all sides. In the first game the Ninety Eights caused a major upset when they overcame the favourites Gorry Rangers. From the moment Sean McAdams struck a point in the fourth minute the Ninety Eights were never headed in this contest. Sean had an outstanding game and his three goals in the first half helped pave the way for victory. Dylan Moran, Jack Dunne, Jake O’Kelly and Alan Spain were also very prominent for the winners, while David Sullivan, Cormac Doheny and Fionnán Hurley can be very satisfied with their efforts. Even when things were going against them the Rangers never gave up. Ben Healy, Nathan Ryan, Eoin England and Owen Usman hurled their hearts out and they got good support from Louis Kennedy, Nathan Lynch, Ben Cahalan and Rory Grace.

The De Wets gave their best display of the league but just came up short against Kyle on a 10-5 to 7-4 scoreline. The De Wets had wind advantage in the first half and lead at the break on a 4-3 to 4-1 scoreline. Kyle began the second half on the front foot and Matthew Moyles goaled in the first minute. The De Wets showed that they weren’t going to go down without a fight when Kian O’Kelly found the net in the second minute. Two goals in quick succession from Matthew Spain and Luke Dervan put Kyle in the driving seat. The De Wets spurred on by Mark O’Neill and captain Seamus O’Meara kept in touch until the end but Kyle always had a little in hand. Captain Luke Dervan was outstanding for the winners. Páidí Williams was very sound in goals and Jack Dwan, and was a tower of strength at full-back. Eoghan Mulcahy, Matthew Spain, Eoin O’Meara and Matthew Moyles contributed handsomely to victory while Patrick Hayes, Kevin McDonald, Shane McAteer, Owen Farrell all had their moments. De Wets lost nothing in defeat with Seamus O’Meara, Mark O’Neill, Cian Spillane, Luke Morkan, Conor Quinlan, Kian O’Kelly, Kieran Spain and Sam Darcy turning in good performances, with good support from Daniel Costello and Fionnán Hurley. Kyle scorers: Luke Dervan (5-2), Matthew Moyles (2-1), Matthew Spain (1-2), Shane McAteer (1-0) and Owen Farrell (1-0). De Wet scorers: Kian O’Kelly (3-0), Mark O’Neill (2-2), Sam Darcy (1-1) and Luke Morkan (1-1).

Bag Packing

The fundraiser was a resounding success, yielding proceeds of €2,548.14. This was a 31% increase on last year’s return. The money raised will enable the club to invest in a badly needed jet of jerseys for the U-10s and it will also facilitate the purchase of T Shirts for the successful U-11 team, Tipperary Community Games champions 2012 and the U-12 team which plays in Croke Park on August 13th. The juvenile club would like to sincerely thank the following volunteers who helped out: Margaret Coonan, Theresa Loughnane, Trisha Costello, Tommy McDonald, Kevin McAteer, Ann Hurley, Fiona Naughnane, Denis Farrell, Rachel Larke, Yvonne O’Looney, Lorraine White, Collette Coonan, Ben Moyles, Shay Hannon, Tara Gaffney, Siobhan O’Leary, Helen Mulcahy, Angela Sullivan, Eithne Spain, Jody Hurley, Sean Ward, Liz Williams, Páidí Williams, Ann O’Meara, Patsy Dunne, Niall Healy, Barry Meehan, Mary Ward, Bernie Grace, Jim Guider, Tim Dwyer, Dolores Dwyer, Michael O’Meara, Mary Walsh, Lu Lu Donnelly, David Harris, Martina Conroy, Mary Naughnane, Rose Armitage, Maura Lillis, Tara Lillis, Anna Brennan, Evelyn Deane, Johnny Peters, Paula Connolly, Brid Morgan, Helen Kennedy and Louis Kennedy. We had a total of forty seven adults plus Tara Lillis, Páidí Williams and Louis Kennedy who supervised operations.

Summer Camp

The annual Kellogs Summer Camp takes place in MacDonagh Park, July 2nd to July 6th. The cost is €55 for first child, €45 for second child and €40 for third and subsequent children. Application forms should be returned immediately to Gilbert Williams.