U-16 Hurling – Kilruane MacDonaghs 4-18 Silvermines 6-10

31 Aug 2012 by Gilbert Williams

MacDonagh Park Thursday August 30th


The U-16s recorded their third successive victory when they overcame Silvermines in MacDonagh Park on a 4-18 to 6-10 scoreline. MacDonaghs were always in control of this game and on separate occasions enjoyed both nine and eleven point leads. However, a late rally by Silvermines, which coincided with the departure of the injured Cian Darcy, ensured a tense finish. MacDonaghs made a blistering start and raced into a nine point lead inside the first quarter, with the scoreboard reading 2-5 to 0-2. Darragh Peters and Cian Darcy had raised the green flags. The team was responding to the managment’s instructions to play direct hurling. The midfielders and forwards combined well and hit some delightful scores. Cian Darcy was lording it at midfield and Darragh Peters was on fire in the right corner. Silvermines gradually found their feet and by the interval they had reduced the deficit to three points, with the score 2-10 to 2-7. The second Silvermines goal came from a free and the Kilruane defence will be disappointed that they didn’t stop a shot that lacked any real venom.


On the resumption, Silvermines got a lucky break when they awarded a controversial goal after goalkeeper Niall Shinners was adjudged to have stepped back over the line. The scores were level and it was game on. MacDonaghs responded well to this setback and fired over four points on the trot. One was a magnificent effort by Cian Darcy from a fifty metre line ball, out on the stand side. Darragh Peters was now operating at centre-forward and he knifed through the defence and crashed home a great goal. Keelan Troy buried the sliotar from close range for the fourth goal and when Jerome Cahill added a point the score stood at 4-18 to 3-10 in favour of MacDonaghs. With just over ten minutes left, it looked like the home side would close out the game. However, the injured Cian Darcy had to leave the field. Silvermines started to dominate possession and a bad blunder by a Kilruane defender presented the opposition with a goal. They scored their fifth goal from a close in free, which wasn’t hit with any great ferocity. MacDonaghs had now lost their shape and a sixth goal just left two points between the sides. The home side was relieved to hear the final whistle. Although MacDonaghs were clearly the better side, who played the better hurling, and got the better scores, a lack of composure in the final ten minutes almost cost them dearly. Their final group game is at home to Shannon Rovers on this Monday at 6.45pm. Victory here is a must and would guarantee at least a playoff for a semi-final spot. Hopefully, Brendan McAdams will have recovered sufficiently from a collar bone injury to take his place. His presence would help stiffen the defence.

Team: Niall Shinners, Arran Conroy, Kieran Brereton, Ciarán Spillane, Martin Grace, Caolainn Conroy, Conor Lillis, Cian Darcy (1-4), James Cleary (0-1), Conor Doheny (0-2), Kieran Lillis (0-4), Kevin Shinners, Darragh Peters (3-5), Keelan Troy (1-1) and Jerome Cahill (0-1). Subs: Jack Farrell and Craig Morgan.

Referee: Stephen Kenny (Moneygall)


© 2023 Kilruane MacDonaghs GAA Club