North Feile Final – Kilruane MacDonaghs 1-14 Nenagh Eire Og 2-6

18 Apr 2011 by Gilbert Williams

 North Feile Final April 17th 2011

Kilruane MacDonaghs 1-14 Nenagh Eire Og 2-6

In sunny Ballingarry Kilruane MacDonaghs captured the Maher Cup for the fourth time when they had five points to spare against Nenagh. MacDonaghs were the first holders of the Cup in 2001 when Ray McLoughney captained the side to victory against Moneygall. Justin Cahill followed in his footsteps when Kilruane overcame Newport in 2006 and Aidan Boyle led the 2009 team to glory against Roscrea.

Last Sunday Kilruane played against the breeze but went on the offensive immediately when centre forward Darragh Peters knifed through the Nenagh defence and offloaded to Rory McCarthy whose goal effort was smothered. However, MacDonaghs were soon off the mark when Craig Morgan slotted over a point. Rory McCarthy raised another white flag before Shane Hennessy got Nenagh off the mark from a free after Craig Hilmi was fouled. Darragh Peters responded with a point from a free. Another Nenagh point reduced the deficit to one. Darragh Peters replied with a point from play before Nenagh hit the front for the first time when Shane Hennessy soloed through the defence and rifled the ball to the net. Nenagh extended their lead to three with their fourth point.

This seemed to rouse the boys in black and white and they responded with four unanswered points from Darragh Peters (2), James Cleary and Rory McCarthy to give MacDonaghs a one point lead as the interval approached. Shane Hennessy scythed through the MacDonaghs defence which heaved a collective sigh of relief when the sliotar was booted over the bar with with a goal there for the taking to leave the score MacDonaghs 0-8 Nenagh 1-5.

Backed by the breeze Kilruane opened the second half brightly and Darragh Peters hit two points from frees and Rory McCarthy chipped in with another. Darragh added another from play before Nenagh opened their second half account to reduce the deficit to three. The sides were soon level when Nenagh found the net. Kilruane rose to the challenge. James Cleary went to full forward and took the game by the scruff of the neck. He raced through to rattle the net and added three points from play and the Maher Cup was on its way to Cloughjordan .After the game North Board chairman Mike Flynn presented the trophy to captain Paul Guidera.

Congratulations to the entire panel, manager Christy Morgan and his fellow selectors on a deserved success. They now take on Drom-Inch in the county semi-final.
Team: Niall Shinners, Arran Conroy, Kieran Brereton, Brendan McAdams, Cian Darcy, Willie Ryan, Conor Lillis, Jerome Cahill, Paul Guidera, Craig Morgan (0-1), Darragh Peters (0-7), James Cleary (1-4), Martin Grace, Rory McCarthy (0-3), and Declan Elderfield. Subs: Sean Quinlan, Kevin Shinners and Tommy Dooley.

Referee: Kieran Delaney Toomevara

© 2023 Kilruane MacDonaghs GAA Club