Minor Hurling Championship – Kilruane V Borrisoleigh

16 Jul 2010 by Gilbert Williams

Minor Hurling Championship Round 2 in MacDonagh Park
Kilruane MacDonaghs 2-14 Borris-Ileigh 1-10
The minor hurlers recorded their second successive victory in the championship when they had seven
points to spare against Borris-Ileigh in MacDonagh Park. The final score flattered the home side and
the visitors must be wondering how seven points separated the sides at the finish. MacDonaghs fielded
an unchanged side with Stephen Cleary once again lining out at wing back after an impressive debut
against Toomevara. Sean Kelly is a long term absentee with injury; James Sullivan had a brief stint in
hospital and should soon be available while PJ Cleary has yet to rejoin the panel. Kilruane played into
the village end in the opening half. It was an ideal evening for hurling with no wind or rain to hinder the
Borris-Ieigh were first to settle and centre forward Benny Harkin had a point from play after four minutes. Thomas Cleary opened MacDonaghs account with a point after
six minutes. Points from Benny Harkin and Dan McCormack gave Borris a two point advantage. The
maroon and white could have been further ahead but for some wayward shooting. In the ninth minute
Aidan Boyle was fouled after some good work by Stephen Cleary. David Reddan made no mistake from
the resultant free. The Borris-Ileigh wing forward raised a white flag to restore the two point cushion.
Kilruane the hit a purple patch between the seventeenth and twenty sixth minute hitting 1-4 without
reply. David Reddan slotted over two frees and Thomas Cleary knifed through the Borris defence to rifle
home a great goal. Thomas added a point from play and Kieran Cahill chipped in with another before
Benny Harkin shot Borris-Ileigh’s fifth point. On the stroke of halftime Eoin Williams was fouled and
he punished this indiscretion with the final point of the half to leave the scoreboard reading 1-7 to 0-5
in favour of MacDonaghs. The five point gap hardly reflected the play with Borris being the dominant
team in the opening quarter

On the resumption Borris reduced the deficit with a point. Four minutes later
David Reddan scored a point from play to restore the five point advantage. Benny Harkins pointed a
free and in the thirty eight minute the visitors were thrown a lifeline. Jack Peters was guilty of wrestling
the corner forward to the ground. Robert Ward got his stick to Dan McCormack’s penalty but failed to
stop it crossing the line. MacDonaghs responded immediately with Kieran Cahill scoring his second
point. David Reddan put three between the sides when he was on target from a free. Kilruane then hit
two successive wides. The momentum swung the way of Borris-Ileigh. Dan McCormack and Benny
Harkin hit points to leave the minimum between the sides and in the forty eight minute they drew level.

However, they spurned two chances to take the lead and were soon to rue those missed opportunities.
David Reddan was now operating at full forward and in the fifty first minute he availed on some
indecision in the Borris defence to bat the ball to the net. Eoin Williams, David Reddan and Alan Darcy
extended the lead with points from play and David had the final score with a white flag from a placed
This was a good win against a very useful Borris-Ileigh side which should have a big say
in the championship. They had a very strong central spine and were unlucky not to get something from
the game. MacDonaghs were slow out of the blocks and had to rely on two scoring bursts in either half
to get the better of the opposition. However, they deserve great credit for chiselling out a victory when
Borris seemed destined to take the points. The performance was a big improvement on the first outing
and with more direct hurling there is further scope for improvement. They now have a difficult away tie
against championship favourites Burgess who have been the form team to date.

Team: Robert Ward, Jack Peters, Eanna Hogan, Robert Austin, Stephen Cleary, Justin Cahill, David
Williams, David Reddan (1-7), Alan Darcy (0-1), Aidan Boyle, Thomas Cleary Capt (1-2), Eoin
Williams (0-2), Andrew Brennan, Niall O Meara and Kieran Cahill (0-2). Sub: Conor Cleary.
Referee: Tommy Ryan Kildangan

© 2023 Kilruane MacDonaghs GAA Club